Watford have appointed Rob Edwards to succeed Roy Hodgson as their new head coach following his controversial exit from Forest Green.
Forest Green chairman Dale Vince accused Watford of “doubling down on deceit” after Edwards left the club earlier on Wednesday and entered advanced talks for the position at Vicarage Road.
Forest Green Rovers Chairman Dale Vince says he is disappointed Watford did not approach them about wanting Rob Edwards as their next manager
Edwards helped guide Rovers to the 2021/22 League Two title, finishing ahead of Exeter on goal difference, but the club confirmed he had left his position “with negotiations taking place behind our backs” over a switch to Watford.
Watford confirmed the appointment in a statement, saying Edwards “had a contractual provision allowing him to leave Forest Green Rovers at any time to discuss employment opportunities at other clubs”.
He will take over from Hodgson, who is due to leave the Hornets at the end of the current campaign after failing to save the club from relegation from the Premier League.
- Transfer Centre LIVE! Frank hopeful Eriksen will remain at Brentford
- Mourinho on Man Utd, second-year Roma plans & ‘Smalldini’
- Carra: Mane to Bayern? He’ll have me to deal with! | Klopp: He’s a machine
- Edwards to succeed Hodgson at Watford after controversial Forest Green exit
- PL Predictions: Leeds to grind out priceless draw against Chelsea
- ‘Deal done behind our back’: Forest Green fury as Watford approach Edwards
- Carra: Haaland won’t guarantee City success | Redknapp: PL getting a superstar
- Papers: Ten Hag orders Man Utd players in early for pre-season training
- Loftus-Cheek: Chelsea youth can now see a pathway to first team
- Arteta: Saka, White doubts for NLD | ‘My most exciting game as boss’
‘Deal done behind our back’: Forest Green fury at Watford approach
Chairman Vince was left less than impressed by the developments, revealing he had called Edwards on Tuesday evening as speculation mounted.
“As soon as he started speaking, I knew that it was real,” Vince exclusively told Sky Sports News. “[He told me] that he had been in negotiations [with Watford] and felt it was a great opportunity for him.
“Overwhelmingly for me the feeling was disappointment, because in football people come and go all of the time. The important thing is the manner of it.
“I wish him well, but it is poor from Watford, who claim to be starting a new era, and it is poor from Rob as well. He has let us down, but he knows it, so there it is, and we will move on.”
More to follow…
This is a breaking news story that is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh this page for the latest updates.
Sky Sports brings you live updates as they happen. Get breaking sports news, analysis, exclusive interviews, replays and highlights.
Sky Sports is your trusted source for breaking sports news headlines and live updates. Watch live coverage of your favourite sports: Football, F1, Boxing, Cricket, Golf, Tennis, Rugby League, Rugby Union, NFL, Darts, Netball and get the latest transfers news, results, scores and more.
Visit skysports.com or the Sky Sports App for all the breaking sports news headlines. You can receive push notifications from the Sky Sports app for the latest news from your favourite sports and you can also follow @SkySportsNews on Twitter to get the latest updates.
Win £250,000 with Super 6!
Another Saturday, another chance to win £250,000 with Super 6. Play for free, entries by 3pm