Nottingham Forest have signed Nigeria forward Taiwo Awoniyi from Union Berlin for a club-record fee in the region of £17.5m.
The 24-year-old joins Forest from the Bundesliga club on a five-year deal and becomes the newly-promoted Premier League side’s first international signing of the summer.
Awoniyi scored 20 goals in 43 games across all competitions last season. His 15 goals in 31 Bundesliga matches also helped Union Berlin secure a fifth-place finish and qualification for the Europa League for the first time since 2001/2002.
“I’m very excited to be here at Nottingham Forest,” Awoniyi said following his move to The City Ground.
“It’s always been my dream to play in the Premier League and having spoken to Steve Cooper about our ambitions and looking at Forest, with its great history, it’s a club that I want to be part of.”
- Transfer Centre LIVE! Arsenal set to make improved Raphinha bid
- Papers: Salah to follow Mane out the Liverpool exit door?
- Arsenal reach agreement for Jesus | Improved Raphinha bid expected
- Man Utd transfer rumours: De Jong asking price still out of reach
- Man City agree deal to sign Phillips from Leeds
- Forest sign Awoniyi from Union Berlin for club-record fee
- What Kalvin Phillips would bring to Man City
- Chelsea offer Werner in De Ligt deal | Ziyech in talks with AC Milan
- Liverpool transfer rumours: Nkunku pens new Leipzig deal amid Reds interest
- England’s Headingley heroics deliver where Trent Bridge couldn’t
Due to your consent preferences, you’re not able to view this.
Open Privacy Options
- Transfer Centre LIVE! | Paper Talk
- Live football on Sky Sports | Get Sky Sports
- Download the Sky Sports App
Awoniyi began his professional career at Liverpool, signing for the Merseyside club in 2015 before having loan spells at FSV Frankfurt, NEC, Mouscron, Gent and Mainz 05.
He joined Union Berlin on loan during the 2020/21 season and made the move permanent last July.
Having represented Nigeria at U17s, U20s and U23s level, Awoniyi won the first of his three caps for Nigeria against the Central African Republic in October 2021 and scored his first goal against Sudan in January at the Africa Cup of Nations.
Forest head coach Steve Cooper said: “There’s been a lot of interest of Taiwo from other Premier League clubs, and other clubs across Europe, so we’re delighted that he’s chosen Nottingham Forest.
“Our recruitment and coaching teams have been monitoring his progress closely over the last few months. He’s a player who we really believe in and we look forward to him going on to fulfil his potential and become a top Premier League striker with Nottingham Forest.”
Follow the summer transfer window with Sky Sports
Who will be on the move this summer when the transfer window opens on June 10 and closes at 11pm on September 1?
Keep up-to-date with all the latest transfer news and rumours in our dedicated Transfer Centre blog on Sky Sports’ digital platforms. You can also catch up with the ins, outs and analysis on Sky Sports News.
Win £250,000 with Super 6!
Another Saturday, another chance to win £250,000 with Super 6. Play for free, entries by 3pm